- 4 c warm water about 100 degrees water
- 4 T yeast
- 4 t honey
- 8 c flour I mix part whole wheat, part white
- 4 t salt
- In mixer bowl place first 3 ingredients.
- Stir gently with whisk to dissolve yeast and honey. Let proof (bubble up) for about 5 minutes. Add flour and salt.
- Mix well, then knead (either by machine or by hand) 10 min. Put dough into olive oil coated bowl and turn to coat thoroughly. Cover with plastic wrap or dry clean towel and put in warm place to double in bulk (about 1 hour).
- Punch down dough and knead to get out the air bubbles. Divide into 5 (for pizza crust) sections or 12-14 (for calzones) sections. Gently roll out.
* cover with sauce, cheese and toppings
* bake in 425 oven for 14 minutes until crust is browned and crusty on the bottom
* roll into 8-9 inch circles, making sure the thickness is uniform
* on one 1/2, place handful of mozzarella cheese, 1 T sauce and toppings (we use pepperoni) for pizza calzones; you can use other toppings if you prefer - ham, cheese, broccoli, sausage, spinach, etc.
* fold over and press to seal edges, then roll over the edge to make a nice seal
* make 3 slits on the top to allow steam to escape
* place on either baking stone lightly coated with cornmeal or on baking sheet (with parchment paper)
* (if you are freezing them, par-bake them for 7 minutes, let cool, then place in fridge overnight and freeze in the morning)
* bake in 450 degree oven for 13 minutes until golden brown
* cool for 5 minutes before eating