Back in 1979 I got this recipe from an elderly neighbor in West Virginia (thanks, Effie Holbrook). I have used it for these past 33 years and have found it to be, by far, the BEST brownie recipe I’ve ever tried. I love fudgy brownies rather than cake, and these are wonderfully fudgy.
- 1 c butter NOT margarine
- 2 c sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 t vanilla
- 1 c flour
- 2/3 c baking cocoa
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 c chopped walnuts or pecans optional
- In a pan, melt butter and add sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Mix well, but do NOT beat or overmix (this will cause the brownies to fall).
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add to egg mixture and mix thoroughly. Add nuts, if desired.
- Pour into greased 9X13 pan.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Do NOT over bake. Cool (if you can — we never do).