My daughter went to a friend’s wedding this week and had some troubles returning home, as in her flight got cancelled. So she is settling in to the adventure and looking to God’s Plan B for this trip. I will have to make sure that the bus ticket she purchased to take her from the airport to where I’ll pick her up will be usable tomorrow. I’m praying that she will be able to get home safely and quickly today. I’d love you to join in with me in this!
A beef stir fry recipe I could eat!
I tried a really great recipe for beef stir fry this week. I will confess that we never use any kind of beef other than hamburg. It’s too expensive and I never can cook it right. But Kevin really loves beef so I thought I’d try just one more time.
Some things I learned:
- velveting the meat: you do this to texture the meat rather than flavor (as in marinating) and I used 1 T cornstarch, 1 egg white, a splash of water and a pinch of salt and coated each piece of sliced steak with this slimy mess and let it sit for 10-15 min before cooking
- with stir fry beef, when you cook it, you actually fry it IN hot oil (2 cups of oil) rather than cooking it on TOP of the oil. Also frying in small batches to keep the oil hot so the meat fries quickly is important.
Oh wow, this was so good!! It came out tender and tasty rather than tough and rubbery.
- I cooked the meat first then removed it from the pan.
- Then I dumped all but 1 T of oil out and quickly cooked julienned carrots, sliced celery, sliced onions and garlic, taking care not to burn anything.
- Then I added some canned sliced water chestnuts, baby corn and bean sprouts and heated it all through.
- Next I added 1 T of cornstarch mixed with 3 T soy sauce to the pan.
- Finally, adding back in the meat and tossing to coat with sauce.
- Served over rice with fried noodles (my husband’s favorite)
Don’t I wish I had pictures for you? I sure do. I just will NOT get the knack of remembering I can actually take pictures with my phone!
Give it a try. If you are adept at cooking beef, this will seem like a Kindergarten post. But if you are like me, you’ll find this information helpful and will take your stir fry up a notch!
And now, here is my menu for the week in my Menu Planning Monday. Please feel free to download my FREE, fully editable, Month at a Glance menu planner, my Weekly Menu Planner and my new Snacks planner.