Many people I know say that autumn is their favorite season. Well, there are 4 things about every autumn that make me cry.
1) I miss the colors of New England!I’ve spend the past 30 years living away from my beloved New England and I miss it so much. Autumn’s colors are more spectacular there than anywhere else. West Virginia had beautiful scenery and colors and come the closest to New England. But in New England you can spend each week-end driving to a different state on a fall foliage tour and never be disappointed!
2) I miss the smell of New England!I know, sounds weird, right? But here, all I get to smell is factory (even though our mill has been closed for years, the odor of it seems to hang in the air) mixed with manure. Not a lot to inspire the olfactory system! In New England, there is a crisp, bright, clean air smell. Add to that the smell of fireplaces and apples and cooking and the mixture is intoxicating!
3) I miss the tastes of New England!
- apples fresh off the tree (yes, we have them here, but the taste is a bit flatter than New England apples)
- doughboys (we call them Indian Fry bread here)
- clam cakes
- coffee milk
- Del’s lemonade (even thought it is probably closed for the winter)
4) I miss the sea of New England!Well, I haven’t lived near the sea in 30 years and every once is a while I SNAP because of longing! The rush of the waves, the power of the sound, the smell of the salt and sand, the lonliness of the empty beach, the beauty of the crags and caves, the quaintness of the tiny villages along the coast. All these things, and more, fill my heart with anguish at the loss of them.
Then I realize that these longings of my heart are really just a shadow of the REALITY of Glory! Will there be coffee milk and clam cakes in heaven? Well, I’m not sure…but the joy they give to me certainly will be!
So, I continue to live on the prairie and CHOOSE joy…even on these days when autumn makes me cry.
Blogs I might be linking to:
Menu Planning Monday, On The Menu Monday, Marital Oneness, The Better Mom, Multitudes on Monday, Hear it On Sunday, Sharing His Bounty, What Joy Is Mine, Playdates at the Well, Back to School Monday, Domestically Divine Tuesdays, Time Warp Wife, Funky Planet Frequent Flier Club, Encourage One Another, Living Well Wednesdays, Legacy Leaver Thursday, What’s Up Wednesday, Raising Homemakers, Thought Provoking Thursday, Hearts 4 Home, Thankful Thursday, Raising Mighty Arrows Thursdays, First Day of My Life , Thankful Thursdays, Thankful, Thankful Thursday Brown-eyed Bell(e), Big Family Fridays, Faith Filled Fridays, Feasting In Fellowship Friday, Homemaking Link-up Week-end